So, most of you know that Adam has been receiving Speech Services since January. He has been working really hard, and so have I, to accomplish the improvements he's already made. However, it's just not enough. Through his current therapist, we were encouraged to go to the local school system, which offers speech services to children at 3 years old that qualify. So, for the last month, we've been jumping though all the hoops to get him evaluated several times to determine the severity of his articulation disorder and if they will accept him into the program.
Finally, last Friday, after meeting with the therapist at the school we're zoned for, HE'S IN!! We'll have another month or so for her to write the IEP and then we have to all meet on it, but once he's in, he's in. I very much liked the therapist and she let me sit with her for an hour and unload all my junk on her. She was great with him, very good at explaining to me what she thinks he suffers from, and how she wants to treat him...All a breath of fresh air. It is still going to be a long process for treatment. But, she wants to see him 2-3 times a week and put him in a small group of his peers. I can't explain the relief of this. I want so badly for him to feel confident in his communication before he really starts school and develops relationships with other kids. We all know how cruel kids can be. So, with this extra help, I am not so fearful of that fast-approaching timeline.
I just wanted to get this off my chest and say thank you friends and family that have been supportive with this and never treated Adam any differently. I'll keep you posted on his lightning speed progress!!
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So happy for you all! It is such a huge relief when our little ones get the help they need or that we know they need! I felt your same sigh of relief when Ashlyn's bladder issues her diagnosed and we were given a plan. Not matter how bumpy the road ahead looks ahead; it is a huge load off to just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Wishing Adam so much success with this program! Love you all!
ReplyDelete