Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Adam's First Day of Preschool!!

This was it!  Adam walked into his very first classroom this morning.  I was thinking about it and the first day of school will only happen a few times his whole life.  He was a little nervous but as soon as he crossed the threshold of the classroom there was much to do.  I gave him a quick hug and let him go.  Caleb and I turned and headed out alone.  Since that moment I've been struck by how odd it is to be without him this morning as I drive and do laundry and play with Caleb.  I've pretty much spent 24 hours a day of 4.5 years with this kid since he was born. I know it will become the norm because he will go to school everyday, but I'm trying to soak up how this transition feels and remember it.  He's so smart and humorous and such a gentle soul.  My hope is that this school year gives him the confidence to go into Kindergarten and the playmates he's been starving for.  Good luck Adam!!  We love you!!



The night before school, he picked out his clothes and got his bag ready.


Walking in to school...looking around nervously.



Walking down the long hall to his classroom


Found his Monkey Room.  I did not get one good picture of his happy face.  He kept looking around at everything.



His teacher, Mrs. Sheila, showing the kids to their cubbies.  Adam's seat is in the middle of the horseshoe at the green table right now.  She has lots of centers around the room for the kids. 



After a great first day, Adam was all smiles and full of details.  I treated him to Cane's Chicken for lunch as he told me about it.  Notice his sticker on his shirt.  He was very proud that he did not have to move his Monkey on the behavior chart!!  He will earn a piece of candy if he stays on green all week.  He hurt his leg on the slide and got an ice pack!  He was the first to find the class mascot, a hidden Curious George monkey.   He always washed his hands after using the bathroom.  He got to paint a monkey with 3 colors, but it has to stay at school.  And he came home singing,  "Where Is Pumpkin, Where is Pumpkin,"  I thought that was funny. 

Caleb telling me about his day without Adam.  He kept calling for him and asking about him all morning.  I think Caleb and I will have some great one-on-one time this year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment