Monday, October 24, 2011

Chris Turns 33

We had another fantastic, new to us dinner for Chris' 33 birthday.  We have a new book by a chef we like from TV,  Rick Bayless. He's an authentic Mexican inspired chef so I used all his recipes for the menu.   I started by making homemade margaritas.  It took a sink-load of limes! I made a pitcher full that was supposed to serve 12 people 6oz. drinks.  Chris and I drank more than half of the picture ourselves.  This recipe was amazing and is now our new favorite drink. 

I then made a Mango Guacamole with chips.  The main course was Grill-Braised Short Ribs with White Beans, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Beer.  This pot sat on the grill and slow smoked for a few hours.  It was delicious!!

First, grilling the short ribs over a hot fire


Simmering and smoking on the grill


The Ribs are served without the liquid on a bed of the beans, mushrooms, onions, and peppers.  Check out the margaritas in our wine glasses.  I didn't have martini glasses so we improvised. 


The Impossible Cake aka Choco-Flan.  Didn't come out pretty like the picture, but it ate good.


Opening presents.  The boys decorated their own wrapping paper.




No comments:

Post a Comment