Sunday, February 14, 2010

Here's How Valentine's Day Went...

I have to admit, this year's Valentine's Day was...different. Gone are the days of a quiet dinner for two; Gone are the days of eating lobster and dancing; Gone are the days of melting into an evening...or as least for a few years. Our tradition is to cook a fabulous meal and enjoy Valentine's Day in. This year, Chris cooked a fabulous meal of Wild Salmon with a compound dill, shallot, and butter spread with a Bearnaise sauce, fresh broccoli, and white whine (totally recommend Stag's Leap Chardonnay). We enjoyed this meal on my favorite china and crystal. After finishing my meal, I looked over and observed the following changes in our Valentine's Day Tradition:
1) Adam ate the entire meal in his Incredible Hulk underwear and Saints T-Shirt.
2)Caleb proceeded to let out the longest poot I've ever heard during dinner...which made Adam and Chris bust out laughing.
3) Chocolate milk was spilled over the table.
4) Too much time was devoted to getting our dog to stop barking at nothing in the backyard.
5) Adam's paper plate matched nicely with my fine china.
6) I ate most of my dinner with a 3 month old on my lap who refuses to sit in his swing while we eat. He has to be a part of the family (I don't really blame him).
7) The dinner ended with Adam climbing up and sitting on Chris' head to play the drums on his head.
8)Oh, during the prayer, I thanked God for this special day to show our love for each other, etc. After saying "Amen" Adam added, "and thank you for my birthday". (which is not for 3 weeks, but he's fixated on it)

I know I sound a little cynical about this, but I actually had a great Valentine's Day dinner. I wouldn't change a thing. Everyone was happy and healthy, dinner came out beautifully, Chris cooked everything and then did the dishes afterward!! It felt like us, but special.

2 comments:

  1. We went out for dinner ... to get burrito! Oh to have a romantic Valentine's Day again... ONE day it will happen again! Just like you I wouldn't change a thing about the way things are nowadays!

    Glad you had a perfect Valentine's with your boys! Dinner sounds wonderful! Way to go Chef Chris!

    ReplyDelete