Thursday, February 17, 2011

Poor Caleb

The biggest reason I have not been blogging regularly is Caleb.  He has had a run of bad luck lately. In about 4.5 months, he's had about 6 ear infections or infections that just won't clear up.  So, we've been to the dr a lot.  Then 2 weeks ago, we're back at the dr again b/c Caleb had another night of screaming in pain for 6 straight hours during the night.  On antibiotics again, but the dr said it's time to visit the ENT and get the tubes. The meds aren't enough to clear up this constant fluid behind the eardrum.  So, Monday we went to the ENT and she confirmed that he can't hear our of his right ear and barely out of his left.  As most of you know we had a version of this problem with Adam, who never got tubes even with multiple ear infections.  Adam is now in speech therapy.  I'm picturing the same struggles for Caleb.  So, he's scheduled to have the tubes in and Adenoids out in one week.  
Well, Tues he already had a well-visit scheduled for his 15 month shots back at our Pediatrician.  I also used this appointment to do the physical that is required to be cleared for the surgery.   Check, check.  This morning, Thursday, I go to get him from the crib and I thought a mosquito got into his room overnight, but when I investigate further, he is covered head to to, literally, with spots/bumps.  I freak.  I'm sure it's chicken pox.  Then I'm also worried Adam is going to get it. Call the pediatrician and they say bring him in...but to the back door and they'll let us in...like lepers.  Anyway, the pediatrician (not our normal one, she has the day off, this is the partner) and nurses all look him over and aren't sure it's the pox.  The ped starts going over his recent history: Ear infection, but just finished the antibiotics the day before; Fever?  Yes, on and off;  Runny nose and cough?  yes awful;  diarrhea?  (oh, I forgot he's on MiraLax for about another year and a half b/c he has to re-train his colon.  This means diarrhea everyday.  That's another story).  So, the dr is totally confused at this point I think.  She starts looking in his ears again and says, "Whoa!!  That's horrible!"   Apparently, the last infection from 2 weeks ago is not cleared up, but is worse.  She looks in his throat,  "Whoa!   Is he even eating anything?  How can he swallow with a throat like that!"  Apparently he has a sore throat on top of the ear infection, cough, cold, spot/bumps, and diarrhea.  Oh, and he fell and skinned his knee up pretty bad on the way to the dr. 
She swabs him for strep and flu and both came back negative.  That's good, but what are the spots? ?!! She concludes that the bumps/spots are a reaction to the MMR immunization (Measles, Mumps, Ruebella) he got on Tuesday.  Not 100% sure, so we have to watch for a couple days to make sure the bumps don't turn into blisters like pox.  And that all the other stuff is just bonus!  He's now on a different antibiotic to hopefully clear the ears before the surgery and to clear up the throat.  He must go back to the dr on Monday to make sure the meds are working and to get cleared for surgery.  The surgery will be on Wed....maybe.  At this point I am stressed to the limit.  I feel so sorry for him and yet he's got a pretty good attitude. He has his moments of pity-party, but really doesn't show that he's in pain or itchy.   He has hundreds of spots of different sizes and it's like one giant raised spot in his diaper area.  She also prescribed a anti-yeast cream so the diaper area doesn't turn into an infection.  I will keep you posted on how this turns out.  At this point I just want the tubes in so he's not so miserable.  The ENT says he will probably start talking right away b/c he'll actually be able to hear!!  I am looking forward to that!!  So, stick with us.  I promise when I don't have so much going on, I will blog.  Here's a few pics of  the "Big Bump Baby" as Adam is calling him.
These pictures don't do the spots justice.  There are so many that don't show up.  Oh, the dr also said that this rash may get worse before it gets better and could last a couple weeks!!  Perfect,  I'm really looking forward to all the moms we come into contact with and their lovely expressions!!



I love this pic.  I got him a sonic slush to help his throat. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, poor Caleb!! I love the large Sonic drink!! Can't wait to get back for one of those! You made me crave Sonic with that pic! Oh the sweet boy feels better really soon!!

    ReplyDelete