Well, it's done. I've had a rough week preparing for this surgery on Caleb...see earlier posts. We got to the surgery center at 7:40am (late b/c I forgot the paperwork), checked in and got our arm bands and a pager. Then they paged us back to his prep room at about 8:20 where we went over and over his medical history and explained the procedure with about 7 different people. He was very cheerful this entire morning even making friends with all the nurses. Then, at 8:55am they took him from us and we headed back out to the waiting room. At 9:15am we were paged again to meet the Dr. in the conference room to discuss how the procedure went. She said his adenoids were very enlarged and they came out fine. His ears were totally full of fluid and puss and were still infected slightly, but she got most of the yuck out. The rest of the yuck will drain out in the next few days. She gave us the prescriptions and was on her way to do the next one. We were paged again to go to Caleb as he was coming out of the anesthesia. The nurses were holding him in the pit as he was whining and he was back in our arms at 9:20am. Twenty-five minutes!! He was really out of it and his head was flopping around like he was a newborn again. We went into the "cry room" while he continued to come to. They gave him some juice and he sucked it down. He fell asleep on me and only woke up when they took out the IV, but then crashed again. He was discharged a few minutes later and we dressed him and went home. He slept from about 10:15am to 2pm when I woke him up to eat. He hasn't eaten since last night. But, since then, he's a little cranky, but mostly just wants to dance and play with the dogs. So I think we're doing ok. We'll see how the night goes. Thanks for all your prayers while he's been going through this stuff!!
Our Pep Rally the night before for the surgery!! Notice the hair.
Caleb gets his gown on and won't sit still
The open gown back view
Working on the crossword with Daddy while we wait
Coming out of anesthesia in the cry room. We're both exhausted!!
Wow, you are a trooper. I'm amazed at what you've gone through with your boys' health - and amazed at what they've gone through! Poor, sweet Caleb. I'm so glad I got to read the updates on y'all. Crazy. How's the sweet guy doing now? Hopeful for you guys... Give your boys a hug from me.
ReplyDeleteSo glad everything went well! You two have been through a lot lately and deserve some peace, comfort, and sleep! We hope Caleb continues to feel better and heals quickly! Sweet sweet boy! Did you not just cry when they took him from you to go back to surgery?? I was a complete mess!
ReplyDelete