Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baths are Magic!

So Chris went to a Hornets game tonight with a friend which meant I had to do the nightly routine solo. Not too big of a deal, but today was yet another cold, yucky day this winter and we spent almost all day inside. Therefore, I was worn out. The way the night usually works is that I'm handling Caleb these days (feeding, bathing, clothing, putting down) and Chris plays around with Adam (bath, books, He-Man videos, bed). Well, when you're alone, a lot of this overlaps and neither child has high grades in patience right now. Well, things were going well through dinner with me and the boys until Caleb decides he's getting sleepy and cranky which means get going on the routine early. I throw Adam in the bath with some bath finger paint and don't hear a peep from him while I feed Caleb. Well...until he runs out of paint (a whine-fest for another time). Luckily, Caleb was full. Caleb then needs a bath. What to do? I can't leave one in this bath and bathe another somewhere else...too many horror stories of kids alone in baths. So, I throw in that giant bath sponge for babies and sit Caleb in there with Adam. Of course I have to hold him upright the whole time, but he loved it! He sat there and giggled at Adam and then Adam would giggle that he made Caleb giggle. So funny. Then as Adam continued to play in the water joyfully (we're going on probably 30 minutes now) I dressed Caleb and put him to bed without a peep. Then, Adam's turn for pj's and then he and I read a new book that we got from the library this morning before he crashed. I'm telling you, the bath made the night go smoothly. Both of them were happy, not asking me a million questions (which by 7:30pm I'm just too tired of "Mommy, what are you doing?") and just content on all fronts. I amazed myself. Not that I could get it done b/c I can always get it done. But, I was amazed that I was not stressed at the end of it, nor were they, and I actually took the time to enjoy each one of them while I had both of them. Now, I'm sitting back with my feet up, eating Blue Bell Ice Cream out of the container (don't judge me), and watching HGTV...not a bad night. Thanks Bath!!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Mom!!! You are an inspiration! :) Really - that you allowed yourself to enjoy the process instead of stress about it...that is what I struggle with so much! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete