I've debated for about 2 weeks now as to whether I should put this out there into blog world...I think mostly because I wanted to deny it happening. Let's go back a ways.
My 3 year old son got some foam swords and shields for Christmas...instant hit.
My husband has collected 3/4 seasons of the original He-Man on DVD from his childhood.
They watch these episodes together...insert swords and shields. In every episode "Adam" turns into "He-Man" by raising his sword into the air and shouting, "I HAVE THE POWER!" Now imagine my 3 year old and his Dad sitting in front of the TV with the foam swords shoved down the back of their shirts and shields reading on their arms. When the momentous moment occurs they both reach behind their heads for their trusty sword and chant, "I HAVE THE POWER!" right along with He-Man. This is not my story. This is the background information.
About 2 weeks ago, we're sitting at the dinner table as a family. My Adam is stuffing his face and lets out a very boy sound...a poot. He says, "Excuse Me" as he has been taught to do. My husband, in his infinite imagination, remarks, "You know Adam, you're supposed to say, 'I have the power' when you poot." He's all eyes at his Daddy...the all knowing one. I quickly look over at Chris, knowing what ramifications could come of this, and say, "Don't tell him that." Chris laughs. We go back to eating.
A few minutes later, Adam breaks conversation of our dinner with a poot. And do you know what he says after???? "I HAVE THE POWER".
I wish you could have seen the shock on my face and the total pride on Chris' occur in that same moment.
Two weeks later, current time, I have now not been able to break him of this. We've been down grocery aisles with him sitting in the front seat and all of a sudden he breaks into, "I HAVE THE POWER!" He's also had a stomach bug for a few days and his digestive tract is in overdrive, so this is not occurring once in the grocery store it is occurring multiple times on multiple aisles. So, not only is my kid pooting through the grocery, it looks as if my child as Turrets Syndrome.
So now I've shared. Most people that have witnessed this and given me that inquisitive glance, I have explained the reasoning and they laugh. I figured you would too. Wish me luck in breaking this sooner rather than later. And as for Chris, he taught Adam this and so he can live with it being in Blog World.
Never doubt, that as a parent, you have the most influence on your child.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is way too funny, my friend! I laughed so hard I cried! Good Luck with that one. It sure is different raising boys, isn't it?
ReplyDelete